Wednesday, June 11, 2008

For Data Centers, Green Is Also the Color of Money

http://www.cio-today.com/news/Green-Data-Centers-Save-Green-Cash/story.xhtml?story_id=023001I1BCOV

Sukgu's comment - The expression of "Green IT" remind me of interesting story that I experienced while I was preparing for MIS group term project. As I'm working in the agricutural products based manufacturing company, the powerpoint templates I use in the company looks so different from IT field. Thus, in order to use for the MIS presentation, I asked one of my friends who is working in Sun Micro Systems to give me any template you use in your company. It was because I thought the templates would be very IT style. However, when I received the template, I was very surprised that the template was just like what I use in my company. It was the picture with peaceful lake and boats. Thus, I asked why? and my friend's told me that the issue in the IT field thease days is Green.
Thus, technology is not the only factor in IT field to consider right now. Environment and cost savisng should be considered at the same time.

Data center managers are especially concerned with the rapid increase in power and cooling requirements, and the rising cost of electricity. The Energy Information Administration's Annual Energy Outlook 2008 indicates that the price for electricity increased by an average of 9.3 percent in 2006, the largest one-year jump since 1981.

No comments: