Monday, June 2, 2008

Wal-Mart in challenge to Craigslist

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/40351176-30df-11dd-bc93-000077b07658.html

Sukgu's Comment - Firstly I hit this article because of the unfamiliar word of "Craigslist.". Thus, I started with looking for what the word meant. It's the website that provides free advertisement for job, barter, and sales, etc. After I found out what Walmart try to do, I was kind of surprised of their decision. Because Walmart is the no. 1 retailer in the world, its' attempt to go into web-based business sounds strange to me. However, as I went throught the article, I was surprised again from the fact that Walmart was already no. 2 web online seller next to Amazon. This company has already diversifed into the new business area, and now tries to expand. From the personal perspective, this kind of diversification doesn't fit to Walmart, because their core competency is operational excellence that enables lowest cost products to customers. I don't think this is not that matched with what they are not trying to expand.
Anyhow, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

No comments: